Schmitz Exxon
 has been a landmark in the Tyson’s Corner, Virginia area since 1955.  In 1999, Schmitz worked with Brent Jefferson to design the entire 84,459 square foot facility to accommodate a 10,454 square foot convenience store with a Jerry’s fast-food deli, and nine vehicle bays for service, inspection, and emissions, with supporting service and management offices.  Other structures on the site include a 1,404 square foot tunnel carwash and a 2,664 square foot canopy that includes fourteen gas/diesel pump locations.  There are a few design features incorporated throughout the buildings and site for the benefit of both the customers and employees. Underneath the canopy each pump island was installed at an angle making it easier to maneuver cars to park, get fuel, and leave.  The service bays exhibit clerestory ribbon-window bands to provide natural light for the service workers.  At the convenience store there are parking spaces adjacent to each of the two entrances.  Architectural materials used for the convenience store and carwash were: split-face block and brick masonry, stucco, prefabricated metal panels, butt-glazing and reflective storefront window systems, and standing seam metal roofs.